Sunday, March 6, 2011

Settling in and waiting for the Big Day!

So, Friday is the Big Day.  Yes, it deserves capital letters.  The Big Day is also known as Flag Day.  This is the day the my class members find out our assignments.  There are 58 people in my class, and we all rated the positions on our bid list high, medium or low.  We turned in the lists last week and on March 11 we get the news we have been anxiously awaiting.  So, while my possible posts have been whittled down from about 250 US Embassies and Consulates, it's still pretty wide open with about 50 or so posts where I could be sent.  One of those would be Washington DC.  Which means I would be staying in the area, but would have to move out of my current, furnished, cushy apartment and move into a place of my own.  Within 2 weeks.  The other posts would require additional training here in Arlington.  I will get the schedule with my post assignment on Friday.

That said, I'm trying to settle in.  I've made a few friends in my class.  We also had a two day "retreat" in West Virginia.  It was great to get out of the classroom for two days and spend the time in the fresh air and sunshine.  We did team building and leadership exercises and performed skits for the group and out instructors.  I actually had fun! 

In addition to the many social events for our class, committee work and field trips, I have assignments for most of our class sessions.  So they are keeping me really, really busy.   
 
Finn is doing really, really well.  He has his quirky moments, but he is really settling in.  Daily walks with a lovely dog walker Monday through Friday are certainly helping!  
 
Tonight I have write a draft of a speech to present this week.  Off to do some research!  Stay tuned on Friday for the big announcement!!!!!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment