Saturday, April 23, 2011

Two months until wheels up

So, it's been a while since I posted an update.  I have been a bit overwhelmed with work, travel plans, visiting friends and family and lots and lots of training.  It looks like I will be leaving in late June.  I may or may not be making a stop in Antwerp for a few days. 

I have been studying French with Rosetta Stone on a daily basis.  I'm not confident that it will help.  I am looking forward to having a tutor when I get to post. 

For now, I am trying to tackle the longest to-do list you have ever seen.  There are moments when I don't even know where to begin, and moments when I am completely convinced that I am on top of everything.  Only time will tell.  The single most stressful point for me has been that cute little crazy mutt of mine.  Until I have definite travel plans, however, I cannot make plans for the little guy.  So I wait, and stress, about how Finn is going to get to Algiers. 

Cause of stress number two is the car situation.  I can't bring my car.  I want the freedom of a car.  Will I be able to use it?  Is it worth the hassle to buy one and have it shipped?  Will I ever get to use it?  If anyone wants to volunteer to decide this for me, please let me know.  I'm about finished with making decisions. 

Speaking of volunteers, if anyone wants to volunteer to fly to Algiers with Finn as excess baggage, please let me know.  There is a free plane ticket for the first one in line.  :) 

3 comments:

  1. Maureen - You might be able to buy a car locally from someone at the embassy who is leaving. When we moved to Kenya (granted a long time ago) my parents did that and then we sold it to another family when we left. I was under the impression that it was a pretty regular practice in the foreign service.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would recommend what Anne says. Try to buy a car locally, something that is a better fit for the area you'll be in and can be serviced if something happens. The worst thing is having your car break, and having to pay thousands of dollars for an inexpensive part. You may be able to buy a lower cost Toyota Land-Cruiser on the economy once you get there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And Maureen is off....today's the day she's off to Algeria! Safe travels Maureen and Finn, keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete