Sunday, January 16, 2011

The adventure begins!

A quick recap...  I have decided to make a mid career change.  A drastic change.  After 13 years of working as a lawyer, living in the US on the east coast, I wasn't thrilled with my career and was looking to make a change. 

I was told about the Foreign Service exam in May of 2009.  After doing the Maureen Type A thorough research on the exam, the hiring process and the career path, I signed up for the test.  And passed.  And for that, I got to take another test.  This time I had to write five short essays.  And I passed.  And for that, I got to take another test.  A full day of writing, presenting and interviewing.  And I PASSED!  And for that I got . . . not another test.  Well, it felt like a test.  I got to fill out a 65 page form detailing all of the details of the past ten years of my life to be reviewed by Diplomatic Security for a top secret clearance.  And a medical exam.  And a suitability review.  After all of that I got . . . my name on a list to be considered for a job.  And two weeks later I got a JOB OFFER!!! 

The job, you ask?  The official title is Foreign Service Officer, Management Track.  Where am I going?  What will I be doing?  That remains to be seen.  I won't get my post assignment until after I start training.  Sometime during my first week of training, I will be given a bid list, or list of potential postings.  So at that point I will have it narrowed down to 40 or 50 potential postings.  Four or five weeks into training, so sometime in mid to late March, I will know where I am heading and how long I will be in Arlington, Virgina for training.  For now, the possibilities are wide open . . . or limited to anywhere in the world where the US has a consulate or embassy.  Fun to think about!!

I start February 14.  I arrive in Arlington on February 12.  That's all I really know for now!

2 comments:

  1. Wow!! That is really fantastic! I can't wait to hear about your adventures! Yay for you!!

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that you started this blog so we can all keep track of you. How wonderful that you are making such an amazing change in your life.
    Karin

    ReplyDelete